Camden D.
Mrs. Belden
Honors English 1
6 November 2014
The McCandless Project
The Experiment that I chose for The McCandless Project was to wear a completely different style of clothing one day. On most days, actually everyday, I wear everything basketball. I wear basketball shirts, sweatshirts, shorts, socks, and even shoes. This is the style of clothing that my friends know me by and the style that they dress. I wanted to wear something that would make them raise an eyebrow but not so obvious it was my social experiment, and the best idea to that was how I dressed for running cross country. I wore just a plain Nike sweatshirt (I don’t own a running sweatshirt), a cross country invitational t-shirt that was bold enough for them to recognize that it was about cross country, running shorts that are a bit slimmer than my regular shorts, short socks (which show a horrendous tan line), and running shoes. The results that I received were a lot more dramatic than I would've expected.
The shorts socks and running shoes were a big hit. My friends didn't really notice a huge difference in the shirt and shorts but they made numerous comments about my footwear. It first started when my brother and I were eating breakfast. He caught a glimpse of my socks and the tan line and he yelled, “Ew! Why are you wearing that! It’s gross”.
I didn't respond. It made me look like a completely different person. Then I received another comment when I sat next to my friend in the morning. In a sarcastic voice he commented, “Wow, nice socks. I like the tan line”.
Once again I didn't respond. And not to my surprise I received a plethora of comments about the shoes and socks during the day. They all said something about my running tan line, my running socks and shoes, and my overall outfit. I know my friends and I knew when I dressed like I did for cross country, that they would be surprised and confused.
During the experiment I felt kind of embarrassed. I knew that they would react to my running gear, but not in making hurtful comments. When I approached my friends to talk to them I was anxious to know what they’d say about my outfit. My feelings were also kind of hurt. I didn't expect them to make comments based just on the way I dressed. When amidst the conversations with my friends, I felt uncomfortable in my skin and was self conscious about how I was seen, something I don’t usually feel.
When my friends and peers reacted the way they did, I was not surprised. Last summer at the beginning of summer was my first cross country practice. I showed up in basketball clothing. They made an uproar about how I wasn't adequately dressed and that I looked weird. Luckily they accepted a the season went on. When I tried the reverse of this experiment with my friends I knew it would be a hit. My friends reacted the same way as the cross country team. Their reactions didn't surprise me because I had already experienced them before.
I don’t think I am free to conform based on results from the experiment, yet at least not now. As of now, I think I fit into my friend group and society while wearing my basketball clothing since they’re used to playing and watching basketball with them. This experiment has really opened my eyes. I have seen how people can judge and some embrace. I know how it feels to go against the societal norm. This experiment has really opened my eyes and have made me think like Chris. For the moment, I will not conform and will follow the societal norm, Chris McCandless would be disappointed.
When I copy and pasted this from my Google docs, it changed my font and spacing at a few sections and I didn't know how to fix it, sorry!
ReplyDeleteWow! I hope you share your results with the class. Very eye opening!
ReplyDelete